Join the newest successful Formula One team! At Haas F1 Team, we are looking to grow our Team and have an exciting position available in our Mechanics department. This is a fast-paced and challenging opportunity to make a substantial impact within a small team. We are looking for team-oriented, experienced individual.
We are a young, dynamic, and expanding team that is building an open, discursive environment full of opportunities for motivated individuals pursing a challenge. Haas F1 Team is designed to allow the best and brightest talent to excel within the premier form of racing in the world. Haas F1 Team debuted in the FIA Formula One World Championship in 2016, becoming the first American-led Formula One team since 1986. Founded by industrialist Gene Haas, Haas F1 Team is in Kannapolis, North Carolina, USA, with team operations in Banbury, UK and Parma, Italy. We have proven to be competitive within our first two seasons with a uniquely-designed team, quickly demonstrating our desire to win!
This position reports to the Race Team Operations Manager or his designee; is located in Banbury, UK. Responsible for the management of the group of mechanics to build and running operation of the Haas Formula 1 Race cars both trackside and in the workshop. In cooperation with Race Engineering you will lead and direct your team of mechanics throughout the build process, coordinating the assembly in a methodical manner whilst adhering to strict deadlines, quality standards and FIA technical and legality prerequisites.
- Manage department personnel from recruitment, onboarding, employee engagement through to separation.
- Mentor, train and guide personnel as required. Develop staff using effective performance reviews and development plans.
- Promote teamwork and effective communications to develop working relationships between all personnel and departments.
- Responsible for establishing standard operating procedures and budgets to maintain a practical yet functional department.
- Assumes any responsibilities and duties delegated by the Race Team Operations Manager or his designee.
- Responsible for the planning & scheduling of car build and race team workflow for all race and test events to ensure a smooth delivery to the race team.
- Work with Race Team Operations Manager to manage pit stop sessions, develop staff and equipment ensuring incremental improvements.
- Ensure the Race Cars are prepared consistently to the highest standards, adhere to all set up parameters, meet the criteria stipulated in the build specification and the standards demanded by Aero quality documentation.
- Document any problems and issues as they occur and ensure fault fixes and improvements are reported to the relevant department. Ensure correct procedures are followed.
- Assimilate Race Engineering performance direction to pre-empt and ensure readiness of alternative performance components and assemblies whilst helping the car crews anticipate and implement changes accurately to deadline.
- Maintain rapport with the FIA Technical Delegates. Ensure readiness for Pre-event Scrutineering, mandatory spot legality checks and Parc Ferme inspections.
- Lead Race Team Support and Trackside Spares in maintaining a future focused Race Team centric service plan, steer the logistical movements of the cars and spares between the factory and the track.
- Ensure car and garage presentation meets corporate branding guidelines and expectations.
- Conceive and project manage the commissioning of complex machinery and car running equipment and ensure high standards of maintenance are met.
- Help maintain the departmental budget whilst coordinating with colleagues on all proposed and real costs.
- Initiate contract negotiations with preferred suppliers determining parts which can be sourced elsewhere to improve supply.
- Attend and input into Travel and Team Manager Meetings relating to logistical and operational planning.
- Follow all safety regulations in all venues.
Education and Work Experience:
HNC level certification in Engineering or equivalent. Proven experience in a competitive racing environment. Able to demonstrate previous experience in the Formula 1 world Championship as a Chief Mechanic or Number 1 Mechanic preferred.
Specialized Knowledge and Skills:
- Ability to supervise others, communicate effectively, and liaise with fellow workers to get desired results.
- Capable of working in a team environment to a very high standard and a positive work attitude.
- The ability to converse at an Engineering level.
- The ability to consistently work to the highest standards with an exceptional attitude towards attention to detail.
- Proficient all round computer skills.
- A broad mechanical knowledge with an understanding of all disciplines of manufacturing.
Equipment and Applications:
- Solid computer knowledge, preferred experience in Microsoft Office products and Microsoft Dynamics AX.
- Mechanical aptitude.
- Ability to follow complex regulations related to shipment of materials and facility maintenance requirements.
Work Environment Physical Demands:
An ability to work and prioritize within a high pressure, time sensitive environment while retaining a methodical approach is essential. The role may require extensive domestic and international travel and a willingness to work long and flexible hours including weekends.
This position may require lifting to 50 pounds, repeated bending, squatting and manual dexterity. Fast- paced work environment requiring heavy mental demands. Work environment includes machinery, race cars, 7-post and other rigs, grinding debris, and hazardous fluids. All employees must ensure compliance with the Company Health and Safety Policy, and all relevant other statutory Health and Safety legislation.